Monday, September 06, 2004

More on the Period Techniques

Once again I hear this term thrown about like it is some sort of gospel. Lets face facts. We in the SCA fight a sport; a fun sport, but a sport nonetheless. We have rules. We are not really fighting, as much as I'd like to think so. My period technique being the good gypsy that I am would have me win every duel. You simply wouldn't make it. I have friends and family. Lets just say I'd be richer for your challenge. If I have to fight you then my technique is to hit you before you hit me. Period. That's it. How much more simple can you get. But you know you won't find that in the Gypsy training manual. Why? Cuz they couldn't read, or write. So now you're going to tell me that they didn't fight? If they didn't fight then why would it have been outlawed for them to do so? They were the blacksmiths, the Tinkers, the ones that took in the military that had to leave their own groups.

So what is this that I hear tell of in the MK? They may decide to take tip cuts and percussion tip cuts, because they are more period. Have you given thought to the repercussions of that you dumb fucks? If you are going to do a demo of a percussion cut do it to something other than the helmet. How about to your elbow. Your knee cap. While you're at it show me what it would look like if I made a miscalculation and hit a little too hard.

Our rules are in place so that we don't hurt each other. Just like in epee we don't allow blade breakers on the swords... Why? cuz they work. We have too many idiots on the field to allow some of these things to happen. I have another friend that wants to build a boot knife so that he can kick people to kill them. For him, I'd trust him.. For Joe Schmo that thinks that is cool, and tries to do it. No. Period. So guess what my lil' Ronin. Can't do it. Now in our back yard fighting matches??? Bring it buddy.

Okay... More when I have slept maybe.
-Gypsy Boy

3 Comments:

At September 15, 2004 at 12:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

*repercussions*

 
At September 15, 2004 at 1:19 AM, Blogger Gypsy Boy said...

So why didn't you point out the onslaught of other typos I had in this posting?
Thanks for the note. I hate misspelling stuff

-GB

 
At September 22, 2004 at 11:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cuz "repercussions" is a cool word, and...if you really want me to, I'll edit the rest, but I didn't see how it would accomplish much.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home